New initiative saves travel costs for regional seniors
Travel for seniors has just become more affordable for those in designated regional, rural and remote areas of NSW thanks to a new initiative launched this year by the NSW Government. With more than 70 NSW Government rebates currently available to seniors the Regional Seniors Travel Card was established to assist with the cost of living for eligible seniors.
What are the benefits and how is it used: As with any Government rebate, there is eligibility criteria. If you pass these, you could be eligible to receive a $250 prepaid VISA card to help ease the cost of travel. The card can be used at specified retailers to pay for pre-booked NSW Trainlink Regional trains and coaches, or for fuel or taxis.
How long is it valid for: The initiative will run for 2 years (Jan 2020 – December 2021). The card itself is valid for 14months from the date of issue and will be distributed from mid-February 2020.
What is the eligibility criteria: For the period of the trial you must be
- receiving the Age Pension (you must have received the Age Pension for at least one month); or
- a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holder (you must have held your card for at least one month); and
- living in a designated regional area of NSW outside of Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong.
You will not be eligible if, during the trial, you receive
- a Service Pension (Age, Invalidity, Spouse or Partner)
- a War Widow(er) Pension (including if you receive the Income Support Supplement)
- a Disability Support Pension
- a Carer Payment.
For more information, to check eligibility and to apply for yours, visit www.service.nsw.gov.au/regionalseniorstravel .
Stay in the loop
Sign up to our newsletter for news and updates.